Some global issues and trends that we face in world mission today:
- Worldwide, the church is growing, particularly in "non-western" countries.
- New disciples are injecting fresh vigour and vision into cross-cultural ministry.
- New challenges to co-operation and understanding due to war, persecution, economic recession, study, the search for business and employment opportunities.
- Large-scale movements of people.
- Radicalisation of belief in many faith communities has led to intolerance and even violence. Religious pluralism has grown, along with its own form of intolerance.
- The nature of development is changing. Many communities remain in deep poverty, but expertise to deal with the issues is increasingly available from within these countries.
- More "middle class" populations. An increasing percentage of those without access to the gospel are no longer rural poor but middle-class city dwellers.
- HIV/AIDS is still devastating in parts of Africa, and it is also predicted to become a pandemic in Russia, China and India in the next few years.